Are you aware of the medical condition that causes bad breath? Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can result from numerous causes. Not only can bad breath be a sign of poor dental health, but it may also be a sign of poor physical health, as underlying conditions in your body can sometimes lead to bad breath. Listed below are just a few of the causes of bad breath:
– Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a known risk factor for bad breath.
– Underlying conditions in your body including kidney malfunctions, liver ailments, and respiratory tract infections can all contribute to bad breath.
– If you are suffering from poor oral hygiene that has led to excessive plaque buildup, you will be at an increased risk for bad breath.
– Previous oral health care treatments and procedures, including dentures, can easily become contaminated and contribute to bad breath.
– The foods you are eating, the drinks you are drinking, and the medications you are taking can all increase your risk for or contribute to bad breath.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can lead to bad breath.
– A lack of saliva in your mouth, also known as dry mouth, is a condition which can drastically increase the rate at which bad breath will occur.
To make sure your oral health remains in optimum condition, please schedule an appointment with Moorpark Smiles Dental at our office in Moorpark, California by calling us at 805-553-1980. Dr. Paul Takemoto and our team with make sure you receive the bad breath treatment your smile requires.